It is about time for me to write something about Kendo UI. At first I was very skeptical about this framework. I am not trying to tell Kendo UI is not good, truth is far from it. It was a fear that people don’t want to read a review of commercially available framework when there are numerous free of charge. If this is a deterrent in any way then skip this article. Kendo UI may be the best HTML5 framework in existence, but it will not be useful unless there is a willingness to pay few hundred dollars (per developer … per server-side technology).
Why Kendo UI
- Support for major desktop and mobile browsers, not just web-kit browsers. Not to mention support for major mobile platforms
- Code is optimized for major mobile platforms. Android app will use optimizations made from android platform, same thing goes for iOS and rest of them.
- Nothing particular
UI and visual impression
- Native look depending on platform and platform version. For example, app will look different when watched on different iOS versions.
- App performance don’t suffer from heavy CSS3 usage.
- Again nothing particular
Availability, ease of use
- Page layout system similar to jQuery Mobile
- MVVM usage
- Excellent demos, you will probably learn more from them than from an official documentation.
- Easy framework even with a bad documentation
- Online community is supportive
- Bad documentation
- Missing descriptions
- Kendo UI was not used to show how examples look like.
- Too few images, I want to see what some part of code can do. They don’t even need to use images.
|Building Mobile Applications Using Kendo UI Mobile and ASP.NET Web API Do not be discouraged by the title of this book, only one chapter (Chapter 3) is really dedicated to ASP.NET, rest of the book is dedicated to Kendo UI alone, making it also usable to JAVA and PHP developers. It is intended for beguines and expert developers alike. Book covers everything from API, widgets up to working example in a form of Movie Ticket Application.|
|Instant Kendo UI Mobile Unlike the previous one, this book is dedicated only to Kendo UI Mobile library and its various components for building mobile applications effectively. It is rather short (compared to the previous one). Still it will cover everything you need to know about Kendo UI widgets and page building. One other thing, its price (6.29$) makes it also a bargain.|