The age of iPads and tabs brought forward a range of issues that turned into a revolutionary innovation.
A revolutionary moment for the tab manufacturers to address those queries that they’re previous versions did not.
Apple being the most technologically up to date is mostly the first to address such issues.
Hence we have reviewed some of the Best DJ controllers for iPad.
The use of DJ equipment with the onset technological advancements that come along with portability and convenience was one issue that Apple responded to. Which is why today, we are here to discover the best iPad DJ controllers, since all iPads come with a dedicated DJ App for iOS and a controller that can be best used with those apps.
5 Best DJ Controller for iPad
Jumping into scrutinize the top 5 DJ controllers for iPad on our list:
- Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk3
- Pioneer DDJ 200
- Traktor Kontrol Z1
- Traktor Kontrol S3
- Pioneer DDJ WeGO 4
Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk3
- Software: Traktor Pro 3
- Inputs: 1 Mic (1/4 Inch)
- Outputs: 2 Master (RCA/TRS) 1 Headphone Monitor (1/8 Inch)
- Channels: 2
- Deck Control: 2
- Weight: 5.2 lbs. (2.36kg)
The S2 Mk3 is everything and more that you need to mix music on the go! According to Native Instruments it rates at a whopping 4.67 stars review and is a flagship entry level controller. For beginner DJs its just ideal given the choice of features it offers. Plus, its compactness helps those who want to carry their controls around.
Usually entry level DJ controllers restrict how much of mixing and controlling you can do but the S2 offers everything that you need to become a pro at DJing.
The software ideal for this controller is the Traktor DJ 2 which comes with multiple layouts and features. Plus, it offers integration with Soundcloud Go+. The software version, Traktor Pro 3 has you covered in case you want to advance to other controllers that Native Instruments offers. It has the ability to handle DJ-ing tasks of small to large scales both.
Unlike most entry level controllers, the jogwheels on this one is not petite. With 5.5 inches they let you comfortably control music. And the response of the jogwheels is also decent and doesn’t cause any difficulty to execute scratch routines.
- Sturdy built quality ensures its ready for travelling around
- Serves great as a backup controller with professional level layout
- Software – this DJ software works well with all Native Instrument controllers
- Jogwheels quality and size both is impeccable
- Doesn’t work with any other software makes it restricting
- Jog mode: Classic spin-to-nudge function, as well as scratch capability
- Beat grid adjust mode: Use the jog wheel to manually adjust beat grid in TRAKTOR
- Club-standard layout with identical deck design, 2-channel mixer, and fast control of key TRAKTOR features
- 16 RGB pads for triggering Hot cues, loops, or samples. Headphone Output - Maximum Output Level - 45 mW at 33 Ohm load . Frequency Response - 20Hz-20kHz plus /- 1.0 dB. Crosstalk at 1kHz - -55 dB
- 3-band EQs with modeling of industry standard mixer Eqs
Pioneer DDJ 200
- Software: No Software Included
- Channels: 2
- Deck Control: 2
- Weight: 2.65 lbs. (1.2kg)
DDJ 200 is an easy controller. For beginners to learn and experiment the DDJ 200 is ideal. You build from DJing as a hobby to more with the help of DDJ200. It is for all those new DJs who are not fond of using laptops or PCs and the smart amalgamation of multiple apps keeps the doors open for experimenting. With access to apps like Soundcloud Go+, Spotify, Beatport Link and Deezer you can get the music of your choice even if you do not have a music collection of your own. Given the amount of features it offers, the price is peanuts.
The WeDJ for iPhone app includes tutorials and pop-hint features that help you operate the controller like a pro in no time. Plus, the transition FX feature makes the transitioning of soundtracks sound professional even if you are just starting out as a hobbyist. You can choose from 11 effect styles and all you have to do is slide the crossfader to the other end to smoothly transition between tunes.
You can also hook up this controller to your PC/Mac to enable rekordbox dj. And you won’t even require a license key in order to use the software with this controller.
- Compatible with multiple apps – like WeDJ, djay, edjing mix. Compatibility with multiple apps makes it even usable with android tabs in case you wish to switch from iOs to android.
- Complete Mixer – DDJ200 has a full3 band EQ with filter. The tools let you tune the frequencies you wish to play.
- Reasonably Priced – given the number of features it offers, the controller is quite reasonable
- Tutorials make it beginner-friendly
- It is missing out on external sound output, so you will always require an iPad or an iPhone to run music.
- Compatible with many devices such as DJ play smartphones, tablets, PC/Macs, etc. There are multiple apps available for smartphones and tablets, including WeDJ for iPhone, djay, edjing Mix, and rekordbox for PC/Mac, and many other functions.
- Streaming Compatible: Not only does the songs inside your smartphone, but it also supports a variety of streaming services.
- Easy to learn basic operations and activate DJ app WeDJ for iPhone. By following the video instructions on the smartphone screen, even beginners can learn the basic operations required for DJ players. Works with
- . Equipped with automatic MIX function, you can recreate professional DJ's MIX techniques with a simple operation by choosing a pattern on your WeDJ for iPhone and moving the cross fader. The
- Portable Portable Portable Lightweight Body that can be carried anywhere and can be powered by a power bank even in environments without an outlet, so you can play it anywhere
Traktor Kontrol Z1
- Software: Traktor LE
- Outputs: 1 Master (RCA) 1 Headphone Monitor (1/8 Inch)
- Channels: 2
- Deck Control: 2
- Weight: 1.43 lbs. (0.65kg)
The most ideal DJ controller for travelers is the Traktor Kontrol Z1 because it is ultra-portable. It is a two-channel mixer with audio interface for Traktor DJ and Traktor Pro 2. The Z1 lets you pre-listen to the sound so that the mixing is smooth and clean. And thanks to the pro-quality 24-bit 96 kHz converters your audience will always be hooked to captivating sound. All the more precision is possible thanks to the chunky high-end knobs, buttons and encoders that give you a good grip over the DJ setup. Furthermore, the plug-n-play feature makes setting it up super quick. Traktor Pro 2 – plug in works best with the Z1 and lets you immediately begin mixing with hands-on control.
And last but not the least its compactness is ideal and easily fit in your back pack.
- Portable – petite in size makes it easy to carry
- Highly integrated sound – paired with good quality speakers this controller gives great sound quality
- High quality built – it durable and the knobs are well spaced for comfortable use
- Compatibility with other gears – can pair with other components
- Limited functionality due to the absence of performance pads and jogwheels. If you require scratching or FX you will have to find other DJ controllers for the purpose.
- Complete, ultra-portable setup for TRAKTOR DJ
- Pro-quality knobs, faders, and backlit buttons
- Mixing interface with 3-band EQ, built-in 24-bit soundcard
Traktor Kontrol S3
- Software: Traktor Pro 3
- Inputs: 1 Line In (RCA) 1 Mic In (XLR/TRS)
- Outputs: 2 Master (RCA/XLR) 1 Booth (TRS) 1 Headphone Monitor (1/4 Inch & 1/8 Inch)
- Channels: 4
- Deck Control: 4
- Weight: 7.1 lbs. (3.22kg)
Since it comes with a Traktor Pro 3, a full version software, it brings a lot a range of possibilities and is flexible to work with an iPad, iPhone, Laptop, PC/MAC etc. It has an impressive set of features which has a central mixer section that gives you access to over 4 channels. It enables you to layer multiple layers of tracks together. And every channel has a 3 band EQ giving complete control over low, mid and high frequencies. The S3 sees the return of 2 medium sized jogwheels that provide for a good level of resistance enabling aggressive scratch routines.
Other than that, it comes with long pitch faders that are an essential requirement by most DJs. The smooth and seamless integration of the FX lets you assign up to 4 FX from the range provided. However, it lacks dedicated Deck FX controls, with this controller you will have to connect it to a laptop to activate the FX controls. But that only means the design is super neat.
Despite made of plastic the body is heavy duty and the pads, knobs, buttons all fall under a good built quality. Therefore, its good for a rigorous frequent use.
- Connectivity Options – lets you plug into other sound systems easily and lets you handle range of output types.
- Pitch Faders – For fine tunings of the BPM tracks long pitch faders come in very handy
- Sleek Design – Stylish design with good combination of colors
- With Traktor DJ2 iOS app there are only 2 channels restricting your creativity
- Layer beats, fire off samples, or keep a banger track parked on Deck C: whether you’re throwing in acapellas or love a double drop, four decks offer easy control over your mix
- At the heart of the TRAKTOR KONTROL S3 is the four-channel mixer, with full-length faders, EQ, cueing, and Mixer FX one-touch effects on each channel to shape your sound
- Juggle Hotcues, samples, and loops with eight RGB pads on each deck, then switch decks and keep on-track with the jog wheel light rings
- The touch-sensitive and super smooth jog wheels are not just for nudging and stalling, but feel great for scratch workouts too
- Set up and spin with punchy, pro-grade XLR and RCA inputs and outputs with a huge dynamic range, as well as a ¼” TRS booth output, and 3. 5 / 6. 3 mm headphone outputs
Pioneer DDJ WeGO 4
- Software: Rekordbox DJ, Virtual DJ LE
- Inputs: 1 Mic In (TRS)
- Outputs: 1 Master (RCA) 1 Headphone Monitor (1/4 Inch & 1/8 Inch)
- Channels: 2
- Deck Control: 2
- Weight: 3.9 lbs. (1.77kg)
Compact and classy is what comes to mind when you see the WeGO4 by the Pioneer. It is undoubtedly the best iPad DJ controller offering features unlike any other control in the market and same price range.
The easy integration with the iPads makes it an ideal preference for new DJs to start mixing music. It permits you to easily mix and match tracks, set loops and cues and do all things creative. When connected to an external screen the WeGO4 can also play videos and karaoke files thanks to the DJ software.
For someone DJing for since quite a while, the WeGO4 may seem child like and unprofessional but its compactness does save a lot of space for DJs on the go.
- Lightweight – easy to fit into backpacks and carry around
- Direct Integration – a dedicated docking space on the controller lets you quickly plug and play with iPads and iPhones.
- Choice of Software – It comes with a rekordbox DJ and virtual DJ LE which is compatible with both iOS and android apps.
- Design – for majority the design looks child like and for mature DJs the transition is hard to do
- EQ Restriction – the high & low EQ options restrict you since the previous models gave 3 band options
- Easy to connect by simply plugging the DDJ-WeGO4 into your PC, MAC, tablet or smartphone with a USB cable or Lightning cable
- Compatible with WeDJ Pioneer's easy-to-use DJ performance app for iPad
- Free rekordbox dj license key bundled with this controller
- Simple layout and advanced control with a host of professional features including Hot Cues, ampler, Pad FX , and loops packed in a compact lightweight design
- PC Master Out.Frequency Range: 20 - 20000 Hz
Making it to the list of top 5 definitely makes them all good at what they do. But however, after critical use and scrutiny the Traktor Kontrol S2 and Pioneer DDJ 200 definitely are the top two favorites of all. The Traktor Kontrol S2 is sturdy in built, good sized jogwheels with excellent layout making it easier to use and go around with. Whereas the Pioneer DDJ 200 provides for a full mixer section with 3 band EQ with filter at a very affordable price making it the best choice amongst all.