In today’s technological age, not only are notes, books, and articles stored as PDFs, but some of the most important documents in the world are also in that format.
These documents can always be accessed via computer or smart device, however, using an E-Reader to access these files might prove to be a better idea, especially if the document in question is very long.
Hence we have put forth a guide on the best e-readers for pdf.
There are a number of different E-Readers available that are capable of doing so, so selecting the ideal one for yourself could prove to be tricky.
To help you decide, we have compiled a list featuring the best E-Readers for accessing PDFs available in the market today.
4 Best E-Readers for PDF
We start off our list with the Kobo Forma, one of the most highly-rated E-Readers available today.
Featuring an impressive 8-inch Carta screen, the Kobo Forma is an excellent device for viewing e-books and other documents. In terms of simply viewing a PDF, the Kobo Forma would be an ideal E-Reader, especially considering its low price.
The biggest area where the Kobo Forma lacks is its PDF reader’s limitations, such as its inability to save any alterations made to PDFs. Any edits, such as changes in page size, will be immediately lost once you turn a page, making the process very annoying. This issue however can be averted by installing the KOReader, which is an alternative reader that should allow you to operate the PDF as desired. If you’re alright with installing this reader and using it instead of the device’s original PDF reader, then the Kobo Forma is an excellent deal for all that it has to provide.
- ULTIMATE READING EXPERIENCE: With a lightweight and ergonomic design, an 8.0" glare-free screen, the option for landscape or portrait mode, and page-turn buttons
- WATERPROOF: Anywhere and Everywhere reliability - beach, bathroom, pool, work, home. Fully waterproof with HZO Protection, IPX8 rating
- DROPBOX SUPPORT: allows you to add your own eBooks and documents wirelessly
- READ COMFORTABLY: features our first ergonomic curved design. The sturdy 8.0â HD E Ink Carta Mobius screen feels lighter than air so you can hold it comfortably and read for hours.
Kobo Aura H2O
The Kobo H2O V2 is very similar to the previous item on our list, both in terms of its advantages as well as disadvantages.
The Kobo H2O V2 features a highly impressive 6.8-inch screen that is bigger than most pocket readers, allowing you to view your documents with ease. Its design is not only easy on the eyes, but is also very easy to grip, further adding to its portability.
While it is cheaper than the Kobo Forma, it suffers from the same drawback when it comes to PDFs: its PDF reader is unreliable. As with the Forma, this can be solved by installing the KOReader. If you’re looking for what the Kobo Forma provides at a slightly lower price, then look no further than the Kobo H2O V2.
- up to 2 months battery life
PocketBook 740/TEA Inkpad 3
Next on our list is the PocketBook 740/TEA Inkpad 3.
Featuring a crystal-clear 7.8-inch Carta screen, the PocketBook 740/TEA Inkpad 3 is an amazing E-Reader that has a number of useful functions. Compared to the Kobo E-Readers we have mentioned previously, the PocketBook 740/TEA has a much better default PDF reading software, capable of opening documents in a number of different formats without any difficulty. The quality of the screen is amazing as well, allowing you to easily read the text without editing the screen at all.
It is overall a very impressive device laden with many useful features. It features an adaptive backlight that reduces strain on your eyes by limiting blue light, as well as profiles that automatically change the brightness of the screen according to the time of day.
It does come with a few drawbacks, however. While it does allow for documents to be read in landscape mode, a major drawback of this device is that it is suitable for only A4 documents. It is also slightly pricier than the Kobo E-Readers we mentioned earlier. That being said, the PocketBook 740/TEA might be the most valuable E-Reader relative to its price that is available on the market.
- The large 7.8-inch screen provides the best reading experience as its size and optical characteristics are as close to the usual book page as possible.
- Technology E Ink Carta provides maximum protection for eyesight, because, unlike smartphone or tablet screens, it is harmless to the eyes and does not glare in the sun.
- Unlike the usual frontlight, SMARTlight technology not only enables you to read in the dark but also enables you to adjust the color temperature of the screen by choosing a comfortable warm light.
- IPX8 rated water protection means the device can withstand freshwater immersion to a depth of 1.5 meters for up to 45 minutes
- Support for audio files and Bluetooth technology makes this model an ideal device for listening to audiobooks, or music while reading.
Kindle Paperwhite 3
We continue our list with the Kindle Paperwhite 3 an E-Reader from perhaps the most well-known E-Reader name in the market, Kindle.
The Kindle Paperwhite 3 boasts the best default PDF reading software among all the devices mentioned on our list so far. You will have no issues reading PDFs with the Kindle Paperwhite 3 that you might face with the other E-Readers previously mentioned. Featuring an amazingly clear display with a powerful backlight that will allow you to read in even dimly lit rooms, you should face no issue opening and reading your PDF files. Additionally, since the device is from Amazon, you can expect the customer support quality to be top-notch, and will ensure that you are able to get the most out of your device without much trouble.
There is one major drawback that the Kindle Paperwhite 3 comes with, and that is the fact that it is highly limited to the Amazon Universe, meaning that you cannot easily install applications like KOReader on it like you can with the other devices. There is a solution to this, which is to Jailbreak your Kindle, which will allow you to install non-Amazon software, but this method itself is not without its drawbacks too. Jailbreaking your device can take away its warranty, and even if you do manage to get past the difficult firmware, going through the hassle will leave you with a device that functions almost the same as the others on our list except with a higher price tag. With all that being said, the Kindle Paperwhite 3 is an amazing device, and if you’re willing to pay a little extra for a top-notch E-Reader that is perhaps the best out there, then look no further than the Kindle Paperwhite 3.
- New, higher resolution display (300 ppi)--now with twice as many pixels
- Now with Bookerly, our exclusive font, hand-crafted from the ground up for faster reading with less eyestrain
- Built-in adjustable light--read day and night
- Unlike tablets, no screen glare, even in bright sunlight
- A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours
Onyx Boox Note 2
We round off our list with the Onyx Boox Note 2.
Featuring a 10.3-inch crystal-clear display that will allow you to read your documents without any trouble, the Onyx Boox Note 2 is one of the best E-Readers out there. It also features an impressive backlight that is capable of reducing strain on your eyes by limiting blue light emissions. Most notably, the Onyx Boox Note 2 comes with a stylus, allowing you to view your PDFs without even needing to use your fingers. This also presents you the opportunity to add notes and edit your documents in ways you couldn’t before.
Another incredible feature of the Onyx Boox Note 2 is the fact that it runs on Android, something which allows you to install and use a number of different applications. The overall hardware of the device is also impressive, allowing you to store several hundred documents and applications while still running smoothly.
There is one major drawback: the device runs on an outdated Android operating system, so you might not be able to get as much out of its Android features as you might expect. That being said, the Onyx Boox Note 2 is still an incredible E-Reader for you to not only view your PDFs on but also annotate and edit them as you see fit.
- Mighty Processor: Equipped with Octa-core 2Ghz Processor, Note2 supports high-speed computing for smooth performance.
- Android 9.0 OS: Note2 has taken its capacity to a whole new level for substantial improvements on software features.
- Fingerprint Scanner: Strengthen the security of your personal information. Simply unlock your device by just tapping on the back navigation button.
- OTG Support: Attach SD cards, keyboards, mice, and other extended tools to your device with no driver needed.
- CTM Front Light: The adjustable color temperature system allows you to customize the color tone to cold or warm, or blend them together, depending on whether you're reading during the day or at night.
Having gone through our list, we hope you are now able to decide which E-Reader is best for you when accessing PDFs. While all of the options on our list vary from one another in some way, they are all amazing choices. Remember, the perfect choice isn’t the E-Reader that has the most features and is the most expensive, but is instead the one that is able to meet your requirements as best as possible without exceeding your price range. If you feel that the best option for you isn’t on our list, then do not limit yourself to it. If you’re still not sure about which E-Reader to go for, please feel free to go through our list again and use it as your guide.
Sohaib Hasan is the head creative writer of Gajotres.Net, a website dedicated to providing reviews of innovative products and services changing the world.
Sohaib has been writing on computer hardware, software, and more. He loves technology and believes it’s only right that we always keep up with all its latest advancements to stay one step ahead in our everyday lives.