Many people are under the impression that the Apple Pencil is the only best pen for an iPad, which may be true in some aspects but it is definitely not the only stylus that works well with an iPad.
It cannot be refuted that the Apple Pencil is indeed the most well-suited pencil for an iPad but other manufacturers have done a great job of developing pens that work equally well if not better.
Hence we have put forth a guide on the Best iPad Stylus for Drawing.
Whether you want to buy a new pencil along with your new iPad or if you’ve suddenly unleashed artistic powers and want a stylus to digitize your ideas, rest assured you are going to love it and will never want to use your iPad without a stylus ever again.
This brings us to the most crucial part of our article. Which stylus to buy? The first and the most obvious choice is the Apple Pencil of course but there is a vast variety of third-party styluses to choose from. There are many that perform equally as good as the Apple Pencil but cost way lesser than it. Which is why we have compiled a list of pens depending upon usage and budget both that work with an iPad.
7 Best iPad styluses for drawing & note-taking pens
Here is our favorite’s list, we are sure that you will not be disappointed whichever you may choose out of the 7 mentioned below.
Stylus truly designed for an iPad – only those iPads that are compatible with the Apple Pencil
Pressure Sensitivity: 4096
Connectivity Features: Bluetooth
Battery life: 12 hours
There are two Apple Pencils, one that was launched in 2018 and the other known as the original Apple Pencil. The original works with the iPad Pro 12.9 inch (1st and 2nd Gen both), the iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad Pro 9.7 inch and iPad (6th generation). Whereas the new Apple Pencil only works with the 3rd generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro or the 11-inch iPad Pro.
If you have these specific iPads only than the Apple Pencil will be compatible. And if you do own one of these then it goes without saying that the Apple Pencil remains the first and most obvious choice of stylus. Apple has worked on its performance with respect to other third-party styluses, you will experience a smooth writing/drawing experience thanks to the palm rejection technology and your strokes will visible instantly meaning there is zero lag. The Apple pencil is easy to use with its comfort level and the pressure sensitivity will ensure that even the slightest stroke will be easily displayed. All angles will be read and visible on the screen. Slight change in pressure will give you bold and un-bold writing so you can place emphasis on areas with just a light pressure on the pen. You are likely to make most of all the iOS creative applications thanks to the great tool of art the Apple Pencil is.
- Feels like a natural pencil
- Optimizes iOS application use
- Makes writing and drawing fun
- Can only be used with certain models
- Apple Pencil features the precision, responsiveness, and natural fluidity of a traditional writing instrument and the versatility to become so much more.
- With Apple Pencil, you can turn iPad into your notepad, canvas, or just about anything else you can imagine.
- Compatible with iPad (6th, 7th, and 8th generation), iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad mini (5th generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation), iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad Pro 9.7-inch
Wacom Bamboo Sketch
Second to Apple Pen, the Wacom Baboo Sketch is the all-rounder in all areas.
Pressure Sensitivity: 2048
Connectivity Features: Bluetooth
Battery life: 16 hours
- Perfect for artists
- Sleek & Stylish
- Pairs best with Wacom
- Dedicated sketching tip
Not restricted to just the iPads that pair with the Apple Pencil but also with the iPad Air and iPad Mini range, the Bamboo Sketch works brilliantly with all. Wacom the parent company of Bamboo Sketch, holds a reputable name in the market of drawing tablets and styluses that are elegant in design and ideal for artistic use.
Unlike most styluses, the Bamboo Sketch has an ergonomic triangle shape, that is deliberately designed so for better grip and comfort while sketching. Thanks to its delicate nib and pressure sensitivity of 2,048 makes you will barely feel the difference of sketching on tablets versus sketching on paper.
Thanks to its Bluetooth connectivity, you not only have it connected to your iPad but can also establish shortcuts for quick use with iOS application. Plus, the battery will not disappoint you at all. It can be recharged conveniently with its USB port. All in all, the Bamboo Sketch offers the closest to Apple Pencil feels without costing the same an arm and a leg.
- Wacom Bamboo Ink Plus Smart Stylus for Windows Ink Enabled 2-in-1 Devices
- Made for Windows 10 Devices
Adonit Dash 3
Basic but gets the work done equally well, with a battery that can give the Apple Pencil a tough time.
Pressure Sensitivity: n/a
Connectivity Features: n/a
Battery life: 14 hours
Adonit Dash 3 is a budget stylus that pairs well with majority iPads and delivers a more than decent drawing experience. And it provides an uninterrupted drawing session so that your creativity flows unhindered thanks to a long battery life coupled with fast charging. You can choose from three different stylish colors; black, silver and bronze (bronze being particularly our favorite).
However, there are a certain drawback due to absence of Bluetooth connectivity. For instance, you will experience palm rejection issues because of it otherwise Adonit Dash 3 wins points in most areas. It is a great and affordable pen to go with an iPad.
- Looks premium in design and finish
- Great battery life
- It is not pressure sensitive
- Doesn’t have Bluetooth connection
- 【Fine point】Dash 3 stylus pen improved PixelPoint tip creates a paper-like drag that's more precise and responsive than ever before. Great for the business showcase, drawing artist, journalist, teacher, and students.
- 【Click on】By clicking button once, the LED blue light will be on, and to turn off press the button again. Open any Note taking drawing or sketching app and begin without the need to connect bluetooth. more precise substitutes for fingertips.
- 【Carrying clip】Clip and carry Dash's thin,light, balanced, aluminum body with confidence. 【Universal Compatibility】 iPad, iPhone, iPod, Kindle, tablet, Galaxy and more from Apple, Android phones, tablets, Dell and other most popular iOS Android 2-1 Tablets devices.
- 【Battery】Built-in battery for stylus pencil, can be charged using power bank, computer,USB charging head, while charging stylus pens show red led light and after completing charge turn in to green. 【Made in Taiwan】Our stylus made in Taiwan! so that means it definitely has quality and durability.
- 【Recharge】Click Dash on for up to 14 hours of continuous use. Click Dash off and charge within 45 minutes. 【Industry Leading Warranty】 When you choose Adonit, you enjoy the reassurance that comes with our stylus or parts warranty with 12-months!
Hahakee iPad Stylus
Great budget option with a mind-blowing battery life.
Pressure Sensitivity: N/A
Battery life: 40 hours
This pen comes with an aluminum body and refined finish that leaves an impression of a pricey product but you can easily get your hands on the Hahakee Stlyus for less than 30 pounds. You can binge draw, sketch, write and get completely lost in thoughts without a worry thanks to what feels like and endless battery life of 40 hours. It feels comfortable to hold and that suits the long hours of battery well. You can easily charge it with a hidden micro-USB port at the top.
Known for precision thanks to its delicate tip and extra nibs that come along. The extra nibs are a guarantee that this pen will last long, probably longer than the iPad you use it on. Of course, it cannot compete with the Apple Pencil but given its price it gets the work done.
- Very long battery life
- Replicates a real pen
- No connectivity features like Bluetooth
- Not Need for Bluetooth Connection and not need to download any apps. Just need to power on the button,and then you can use it directly, without any other extra operations. No lag, no offset, it provides smooth, precise drawing result and pen-like writing experience, and passed fcc certification.
- Supporting 40 hours continuous work and 30 days standby time for only 4 hours charging. Small body with super powerful 200mah built-in battery this active stylus pen will power off automatically without any operation for 2 minutes
- Stylus pen for touch screen come with 4 replaceable rubber tips, each one are tested only 0.03 inch abrasion for 800000 inch drawing. It especially suit to writing, signing, drawing, making notes by professional artists or office workers
- Wear-resisting aluminum alloy body, easy to hold and give you comfortable grip feeling. Portable clip design make it easier for you to take the digital pen to anywhere, just clip it right to your carrying case or pocket
- iPad Series Special Pen, designed for iPad series,compatible perfectly with iPad/iPad 2/new iPad 3/iPad 4/iPad air/all iPad mini/iPad pro series /iPad 2017/iPad 2018.So we won’t recommend to buy it for iPhone. Please contact us if you have any confusions!
One of the best styluses for drawing and note-taking
Pressure Sensitivity: 2048
Connectivity Features: Bluetooth
Battery life: 15 hours
Adonit has mutlitple styluses that go well with iPads. So far, Pixel is known to be the most ideal pen for drawing to be used on an iPad. Because it is so pressure-sensitive, it delivers great results and notices even the acutest of angles means the drawings can be accurate and precise. Plus, it becomes compatible with a range of creative applications on the tabs. Also, another feature that makes it our favorite is the function buttons that can assigned as per your preferred short cut keys but since they’re extremely sensitive buttons you can make a lot of errors if you use it carelessly.
The comfort of using this pen is ideal with its 15 hours of battery life. You can get engrossed in your creative process without time restraint.
- Great pressure sensitivity
- Works well with a lot of iOS applications
- Over-sensitive buttons
- Palm Rejection isn’t perfect
- 【Pressure sensitivity】 Adonit note+ Plus supports 2048-levels pressure sensitivity Adonit Note+ is designed and compatible with iPad Air (3rd / 4th Generation), iPad mini (5th Generation), iPad (6th / 7th / 8th Generation), iPad Pro (3rd/ 4th Generation, 11" & 12.9")*NOTE, this function request bluetooth connected with support app.
- 【Programmable shortcut buttons】 Adonit note+ Plus features two configurable shortcut buttons allowing you to quickly access various features like undo redo or erase on your favorite Adonit connected apps
- 【Natural palm Rejection】 Palm Rejection works with an extensive variety of apps No need to set up in your device or apps【 High accuracy and fluency】The ultra-fine 1 mm tip makes this iPad Pen as precise as real pen! The fine point pen tip will not scratch the screen. The iPad pencil perfect for drawing, sketching and note-taking on iPad.
- 【Natural tilt support】 you can tilt your Adonit note+ Plus against the screen to virtually create a ""shade"" Effect in a drawing with specific brushes for precise writing/drawing.
- 【Charge with USB-C connector】 you can charge while you write! A 5-minute quick charge provides 1 hour of battery life A full charge provides 10 straight hours of working time 【Industry Leading Warranty】When you choose Adonit, you enjoy the reassurance that comes with our stylus or parts warranty with 12-months!
A fun pen that’s light on the pocket!
Pressure Sensitivity: n/a
Connectivity Features: Wireless
Battery life: 7 hours
Originally manufactured for schools and education purpose but it was eventually made accessible in the market. Because it lags in pressure sensitivity, it gets a bit difficult to rank it close to the Apple pencil but it offers variety of competitive features like palm rejection, easy set up with the iPad and easily varying the thickness by tilting the Crayon.
It may not be an outstanding pen but its effective to use with iPad and delivers a good 7 hour of operation.
- Budget Friendly
- Easy Setup
- Not pressure sensitive at all
- Palm rejection issues
- No limits to what you can do. Works seamlessly with iPad Pro 12.9 Inch (3rd Gen), iPad Pro 11 inch, iPad (7th Gen), iPad (6th (Gen), iPad Air (3rd Gen), iPad Mini 5, iOS 12.2 and above, delivering precise and fast Pencil input across hundreds of Apple Pencil supported apps
- Write and draw naturally without fear of missing a single line or detail
- Go right ahead and rest your palm on the screen while you write. Palm Rejection technology lets you enjoy natural hand placement while using Logitech Crayon
- Need a thicker or thinner line, just tilt the smart tip adjusts line weight automatically
- Logitech Crayon connects to iPad instantly just turn on and draw. No complex device pairing or other delays required
Efficient and cheap, just what is required.
Pressure Sensitivity: N/A
Connectivity Features: None
Battery life: N/A
Costs less than $20 and gets the work done. Unless you require detailed functions and specialized features like that you get from a Wacom or the Apple Pen this can easily be considered for practice. It has special triangular design that prevents the stylus from rolling off the table. Plus, it feels as comfortable in a hand as an actual pen would.
The smudge-free mesh tip ensures that you get the precision that should be expected from a good stylus. If you aren’t a hi-fi artist, then this should be ideal for your use.
- Easy to use
- No Bluetooth Connection
- Built to Last: Mark's durable mesh tip makes it a dependable tool that won't tap out.
- Stays Put: The anti-roll design keeps Mark right where you leave it.
- Styled with purpose: Mark features a brushed aluminum body that looks as good as it feels.
- Simplify your mobile life: No Connection or Batteries Required
- Compatible with all touchscreen devices
Sohaib Hasan is the head creative writer of Gajotres.Net, a website dedicated to providing reviews of innovative products and services changing the world.
Sohaib has been writing on computer hardware, software, and more. He loves technology and believes it’s only right that we always keep up with all its latest advancements to stay one step ahead in our everyday lives.