You need a dedicated tablet for your 3DR Solo and there are many options to choose from.
However, you have to ensure that the tablet you are choosing is a fast-performing device that doesn’t slow down and exhibit stuttering.
Before jumping into dedicating yourself to 3DR Solo and tablet for it you need to first understand what is a 3DR Solo drone and how it works.
3DR Solo Drone
Known to be the fastest in the drones, it has a speed of a 55 miles per hour top speed. It has an upgradeable Camera and 2 1 Giga hertz cortex computers running Linux that is an expensive piece of gadget. It makes use of a GoPro camera for recording and capturing pictures. Hence, an equally good display tablet should be paired with it to do justice to the shots taken.
So, what to see when selecting a tablet for the 3DR Solo Drone?
- Make sure the tablet you select has good connectivity
- Performs without lags or stutters – the 3DR doesn’t come with a no collision technology so in case of when stutters the collisions cannot be avoided and hence it is a very important feature when deciding a tablet for the drone
- Good display – display with higher resolution gives a good view of what you are trying to capture
- Battery life that is decent enough to not make you put away the drone every few hours in order to charge the tab
- No glare – you want a screen that doesn’t have any glare so that outdoor shoots are easy to do
Best Tablet for 3DR Solo
With great scrutiny we have shortlisted the best three tabs that will do well with the 3DR Solo.
Apple iPad Air
The glorious display of the Apple iPad Air makes it to the top of our list and one of our favorites. The 10.9-inch display has a 1080p resolution that ensures that your view is bright, crisp and clear with accurate colors in order to capture the shots from the most absolute angles. Owing to the Retina display and True Tone your display will just keep taking your breath away.
Not only is the battery life great at 10 hours of uninterrupted usage, it also comes with great internal storage options of 64 GB or 256 GB. Thus, making sure you’re never short of space for storing your videos or still shots.
The thin and light design makes it easy to become the drone navigator for hours of recording.
Thanks to the A12 chipset’s processing powers and 3 GB of RAM you can be sure that your work is free of lag and stuttering incidents.
- Powerful performance
- Brilliant display
- Good battery life
- It’s a bit pricey
- Stunning 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display with True Tone and P3 wide color
- A14 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Touch ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
- 12MP back camera, 7MP FaceTime HD front camera
- Available in Silver, Space Gray, Rose Gold, Green, and Sky Blue
Samsung Galaxy Tab A
If the person flying the drone is an android loyal user, who freaks out when handed an Apple gadget this one is for you. The Samsung Galaxy Tab A is your user-friendly navigator for the drone. With its 8-inch display with a 1920 X 1200 resolution and 16M colors you can comfortably view your shots and keep track of your drone’s flight.
The 14 hours of battery means you can cover a whole event; be it a party or a wedding without having to put down the drone so the tab gets fueled up. With 3 gigs of RAM and 1.8 GHz processor you can dedicate this tab for your drone navigation and you are likely to scarcely ever face lagging or stuttering issues.
Weighing 3/4th of a pound its lighter and sleeker than the Apple iPad Air so you can never get tired of holding the tab around.
- Decent display
- Reasonably priced
- Can sometimes stutter if used for multi-purpose
- 8.0" (203.1mm), Resolution: 1280 x 800 (WXGA), TFT, 16M Color Depth, 5100 mAh battery
- RAM - 2GB, ROM - 32GB, MicroSD (Up to 512GB), Android 9.0 (Pie), Qualcomm SDM429 Snapdragon 429, Quad-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53
- Rear Camera - 8.0 MP, Front Camera - 2.0 MP, Dual Speaker, Bluetooth v4.2, USB 2.0, GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo
- 2G: GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900, 3G: UMTS B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850), B8(900), 4G: FDD LTE B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B17(700), B20(800), B28(700), 4G: TDD LTE B38(2600), B40(2300), B41(2500)
- This tablet will function for Data and Calling purposes with compatible GSM Networks and as a Phone. Fully Compatible with all GSM carriers, please check the compatibility of the tablet. Doesn't work with CDMA carriers like Verizon or Sprint. International Model, Does not have US warranty.
Apple iPad Mini 2
With an astounding 2048 X 1536 resolution, the 7.9-inch Apple iPad Mini 2 will give you a wonderful view of your shots that is bright and True toned with just the right details needed. The size makes it so perfectly compact that you can easily carry it around as you maneuver through parties. Thanks to its Retina display panel solar glare is not a cause of concern to use it with drone in the day light.
Plus, a 10-hour battery life gives it’s a more than decent amount of time to get the work done. It has 1 GB of memory and 16 GB of flash memory that means if this is your drone dedicated tab (meaning it doesn’t have any unnecessary games or apps installed) then it will never give you any stuttering related complaints. It comes at quite a reasonable price, so if you do plan to buy a dedicate tab for your 3DR Solo you won’t have to invest much.
- Easy on the pocket
- Good display
- Good battery
- Performance is not outstanding – cannot be used for other purposes otherwise will cause lagging issues
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new, with limited to no signs of wear. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.
- Apple iOS 7, 7.9-Inches Retina Display
- Apple A7 chip with 64bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor
- iSight Camera: 5MP, FaceTime HD Camera: 1.2MP
- WLAN: 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.0
To conclude, you don’t have one formula for the kind of tab your looking for and neither do we have one right answer. However, depending upon your budget and preference of operating system you can always make a carefully evaluated decision.
If money is not a deciding factor than the Apple iPad Air is your best bet with the highest of performance, display and battery. You can use it for other gaming or entertainment purposes and not just dedicate it for your drone so that makes it all the more value for money.
If you are an android user and cannot maneuver around an iOS tab, then without a doubt the Samsung Galaxy Tab A is your next best friend for flights.
Finally, if your budgets restricted and you want the features of the very best then the Apple iPad Mini 2 will give you no glare display, good battery hours and fairly okay performance. You will just have to compromise on using this tab for other purposes.
All in all, all three of the tabs are our very favorite and most helpful for pairing with the 3DR Solo.
Sohaib Hasan is the head creative writer of Gajotres.Net, a website dedicated to providing reviews of innovative products and services changing the world.
Sohaib has been writing on computer hardware, software, and more. He loves technology and believes it’s only right that we always keep up with all its latest advancements to stay one step ahead in our everyday lives.