Tech gadgets like tablets are becoming increasingly popular & useful for educational games & learning among children specially 7 – 10 years.
7 – 10 year age range is of critical importance as the child’s ability to learn is much higher & the having the right tablet helps to foster learning & development of a child.
Hence we have put forth a guide on the Best Tablet for 7-10 year olds.
But merely buying a tablet for learning & educational purposes isn’t the remedy in this case.
As a parent you need to make sure you are fully aware of how much screen time is appropriate for kids, are kids spending too much time on games only etc?
In addition, tablets with parental guidance is essential when young children are concerned.
So with the aforementioned considerations addressed, let’s get into it.
Best Tablet for 7-10 Year Old Kids
1. Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Edition
This tablet has a very friendly user-interface and is designed especially for kids.
With regards to tablets for kids, the Kids Edition of the Fire HD by Amazon tablets are maybe among the best options available, if not the best.
Remember, do not regard it only as a kids’ tablet. It is, in fact, equipped with incredibly powerful specifications and software, which includes a vivid 8-inch display with 1280 x 800 resolution, a RAM of 1.5 GB, 32 GB internal memory, 1.3 GHz quad-core processor and a battery that can last up to 12 hours.
his means it can compete with any other tablet available on the market.
Nevertheless, more than its specifications, its best component is the incorporation of a FreeTime Unlimited for a year, which is ideal for with regards to the learning of kids.FreeTime Unlimited provides access to more than twenty thousand (yes, 20,000!) books, applications, interactive learning-based games.
This also includes audiobooks and records, as well as material from credible sources like PBS Kids and Disney.
This only the tip of the iceberg, as in addition, parents using other Amazon devices can give limited access from their own library.
Moreover, there is a kid-proof case which provides physical safety for the tablet to prevent it from getting broken.
This is not uncommon in devices that are primarily handled by kids. In case that it does happen, though, do not worry as this tablet for kids comes with a 2-year guarantee.
You need to simply send the tablet back, and they’ll send a replaced version back to you.
Overall, it is quite simply the ideal pick for kids with the best combinations of specs in the market.
- Up to $124 in savings on Fire HD 8 tablet, 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, and a Kid-Proof Case, versus items purchased separately - plus a 2-year worry-free guarantee
- Not a toy, a full-featured Fire HD 8 tablet with a vibrant 8" HD display, 32 GB internal storage, up to 10 hours of battery life, a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor, and 1.5 GB of RAM. Add a microSD card for up to 400 GB of expandable storage.
- The included 1 year of FreeTime Unlimited gives your kids access to over 20,000 popular apps and games, videos, books, Audible books, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- Introducing Spanish language content in FreeTime Unlimited - kids can now enjoy over 1,000 books, movies, and apps in Spanish that include titles and characters like Sesamo, Dora, Diego, Frozen, and more.
2. Apple iPad (9.7-inch)
The new 9.7 inch Apple iPad is the best option for teenagers. It is equipped with 32 GB internal storage which is expandable to 128 GB, a 9.7-inch display with 2048 x 1536 screen resolution, and a battery that lasts up to 10 hours.
With these specs, this tablet can compete with a lot of PCs and will certainly be of great help for your kid.
It might not the cheapest option in the market, but this the cheapest one manufactured by Apple.
As for the educational content, this is up to the discretion of the user.
The App Store has tons of free and paid resources educational resources available, from those pertaining to basics like math and science to much more specific content like biology, language, and even test prep.
The augmented reality (AR) features help in providing a much more immersive experience.
There is a catch, however. Since it is not a tablet specifically designed for kids, there are no built-in parental controls.
Instead, you would have to set up the restrictions (if needed) manually.
From settings, apps like Safari, Facebook, iMessage, and others can be restricted or hidden, depending on how much you want to control. External software like Kaspersky helps in this regard.
It also does not come with a kid-proof case or a screen protector, although there are available separately.
The device hardware is also as power-packed as the software. There’s the addition of the A10 Fusion Chip that will significantly boost the speed and execution.
The device also supports the Apple Pencil, which can be of great help for those who manually write notes and the artists.
- 9.7" Multi-Touch Retina Display 2048 x 1536 Screen Resolution (264 ppi)
- Apple A10 Fusion SoC and M10 Coprocessor 4G LTE | 802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.7
- Front 1.2MP FaceTime HD Camera Rear 8MP Camera
- Apple Pencil Support Night Shift | Touch ID Sensor
3. Amazon Fire 7 Kids Edition
Since this is a list for kids, it cannot be completed without a durable option, for the most energetic kids.
The best option in this regard is the Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet from Amazon.
It comes with a resolution of 1024 x 600, an internal memory of 16 GB expandable to 512 GB, and has a battery that can last up to 7 hours. It also allows for Alexa to be used with parental controls.
This tablet is also equipped with the update FreeTime and FreeTime limited that has more educational content like books and games even in Spanish.
Other than that, as mentioned above, it provides access to more than twenty thousand books, applications, interactive learning-based games.
The subscription is free for the first year.
The parental controls in the Fire 7 are broadly similar to those in the Fire HD 8, with the choice of blocking unwanted applications and the option of the age and time filters.
Moreover, the built-in stand adds to the durability of the device and makes for much more fun (and smart) hands-free learning experience for the kids.
It is to be noted however that the Fire 7 does not have the Dolby Atmos and has a lower screen resolution as compared to the Amazon Fire HD 8.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- Over 20 million kids (and their parents) have enjoyed Amazon Kids (FreeTime) service. Amazon Kids parental controls allow you to set educational goals, create time limits, and filter content.
- The included 1 year of Amazon Kids+ (FreeTime Unlimited) gives your kids access to over 20,000 apps, games, books, videos, audiobooks, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- Parents can give kids access to more apps like Netflix, Minecraft, and Zoom via the Amazon Parent Dashboard.
- Amazon Kids+ includes thousands of Spanish language books, videos, apps, games, and audiobooks.
4. iPad Air
We consider the iPad Air to be the best option for families for sharing.
It comes with an internal storage of 64 GB that can go up to 256 GB, a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, and 10-hour long battery life.
The iPad Air is priced between the standard iPad and the iPad Pros which is fairly decent.
It is equipped with fast processors and vibrant display that can satisfy people from all age groups.
For the kids, a vast collection of educational content is available on the App Store, from math to even test prep for college.
As for the parental controls, like the above-mentioned iPad on our list, this is something that the parents themselves have to figure out, perhaps by installing external software.
There are Restrictions available under the Settings tab, where apps like Safari and Facebook can be locked or put off-limits when needed.
The iPad comes with powerful specifications, with visual quality and operational speed that can closely match the iPad Pro at a vastly reduced price, meaning there is fantastic value for me.
Moreover, it is equipped with the A12 Bionic Chip, a vivid Retina Display, p3 wide color gamut, which makes up for its absent ProMotion technology.
It can appear to be a touch on the heavier side but this will not hamper its portability.
As for the durability, try to get an external case and tempered glass for an extra layer of protection.
- Stunning 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display with True Tone and P3 wide color
- A14 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Touch ID for secure authentication and Apple Pay
- 12MP back camera, 7MP FaceTime HD front camera
- Available in Silver, Space Gray, Rose Gold, Green, and Sky Blue
5. Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1
The Galaxy Tab A is another great option for families and people of all ages.
It comes with a base 32 GB memory, although there are other versions of 64 GB as well as 128 GB. The battery can go up to 10 hours and the screen resolution comes at 1920 x 1200, which is remarkable.
Kids will enjoy the interactive learning in Kids Mode while the parents will love having a totally separate interface.
Branded as “your child’s first digital playground,” the kids can make use of interactive learning through more than 3000 applications including those for language and STEM, as well as fun games.
The kids can enjoy their work in the Kids Mode while the parents get their own interface, which is what makes it great for the entire family.
In fact, it is designed to be more kid-friendly than the Galaxy Tab S4.
Parents can also monitor the activity with the help of a secure PIN code that even limits the usage of the Tab and restricts the content that is available for them.
Parents or adults do not have to worry about these restrictions as there can they can make use of a separate adult account.
Let’s be honest, this tab for kids is not in the same league as an iPad or premium Samsung tab. Still, the 10-inch display is fairly large with a resolution that can run games and videos for kids pretty adequately.
The Dolby Atmos does increase the audio quality which improves the user experience.
It is also quite portable with its sleek profile and slender metal frame.
- Minimal bezel; Maximum view; Watch, stream and browse on a 10.1 inch Full HD corner to corner Display; The lightweight premium metal design goes anywhere you go
- Big sound for big entertainment. The perfect complement to a wide, immersive picture, Dolby Atmos Surround sound fills the room with cinematic clarity.
- Binge worthy Battery; Browse, watch Or shop for up to ten hours on a full charge
- Room for everything; Never delete songs, photos or videos, thanks to ample built in memory; Plus expand your storage up to 512GB anytime With a Micro SD card
- Operating System Android 9.0 Pie, Connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G-plus-5GHz, VHT80, USB 2.0 and Bluetooth v5.0 (LE up to 2 Mbps)
6. Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite Kids Edition
This tablet is an ideal option for parents who want to strictly overlook children’s internet activity without the children feeling controlled.
It comprises of 32GB storage along with a resolution of 1024 x 600. The tablet has a long-lasting battery life of 9 hours.
Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite Kids Edition is another viable option for kids. It comes with the iconic lime green rubber case, newly designed educational app library, and great options of parental controls. For now, the rubber case is only available in green colour.
The Samsung Kids service library is one of the top features of the Tab E Lite which has educational games and books as per the STEM and U.S. Common Core standards, enhancing the experience of kids.
The kids have access to various highly protected apps like National Geographic, Dreamworks Animation, and Sesame Street (YES).
The Google Play Store is available for kids but with the supervision of parents. An interesting feature of the Tab E Lite is that it has the ability to mold as per the age of the child.
However, when Samsung Kids service is switched off, adults can use this device as any other normal device.
Parents have the option of setting a time limit, pre-select apps for the kids, and be able to track the progress of children on the main dashboard. T
here are no ads and the option of in-app purchases is also turned off hence you don’t need to worry about your child landing on any other site.
The Tab E Lite comes with a 7-inch screen, resolution of 1024 x 600, 2.0 MP rear-facing camera, battery life of 9 hours, Wi-Fi connectivity, and a 1.3 GHz Dual-Core processor.
Furthermore, it has a lightweight, durable bumper case which makes it convenient to hold the tablet.
- input voltage：100 -240V
- 1.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
- 1GB RAM - 8GB ROM
- 7-inch WSVGA TFT Display (1024 x 600)
- Android 4.4, KitKat
7. LeapFrog LeapPad Ultimate
This device is specifically designed to provide internet access to kids along with a rugged screen ideal for kids under 6.
It comes with a storage of 8GB, 1024 x 600 resolution, and battery life of up to 5 hours.
The LeapFrog LeapPad Ultimate is great for pre-school children who are studying at home mostly.
It has a navigation arrow button to help with the touch screen, a cute interface, and built-in parental controls.
Filled with core mathematics activities, reading, and science skills with engaging options in music, puzzles, logic, and creativity, the LeapPad Ultimate gives a chance to expand children’s critical thinking skills. This device also allows access to LeapFrog’s latest learning subscription service, the LeapFrog Academy.
Leapfrog comes with a built-in feature that adapts to your child’s skillset and learning speed.
However, one cannot access Youtube or Netflix, which can be a downside for some while an ideal feature for others.
There is a password-protected parental control option that allows parents to customize their child’s screen time by setting a time limit for playing games.
The kid-friendly web browser works on specific sites only which are chosen by the learning experts at LeapFrog.
They have so far garnered support from the parents who are content that they can let their children be on the internet without strict supervision.
It is also equipped with a back and a front camera front and rear-facing camera, video recording capabilities that can record at a 480p quality.
There is also an addition of a five-hour rechargeable battery, a stylus, and a 1024 x 600 7-inch shatter-safe touch screen, meaning that your child will be super satisfied with this tablet.
A LeapFrog is an ideal option for kids as it comes with a rubbery, shock-absorbent case and jumper edges protecting against any hardcore damage.
- This ultimate kid-tough tablet features a 7" shatter-safe screen, multi-touch capacitive screen and a built-in bumper for durability
- Includes $110 worth of learning games, apps and videos that kids can play right away
- Access to a library of content including award-winning apps and cartridges featuring kids’ favorite characters
- Exclusive Just-for-Me learning technology built into many of the learning games adapts the curriculum to a more or less challenging level to keep kids engaged and motivated
- Includes a kid-friendly web browser that provides access to pre-selected websites all approved by learning experts
Sohaib Hasan is the head creative writer of Gajotres.Net, a website dedicated to providing reviews of innovative products and services changing the world.
Sohaib has been writing on computer hardware, software, and more. He loves technology and believes it’s only right that we always keep up with all its latest advancements to stay one step ahead in our everyday lives.